Food for Thought Community Garden Work Party!
When: Saturday November 22 at 10 am
Where: Food For Thought Community Garden (located at 2343 – 156 St., South Surrey, BC)
What are we doing: building a pollinator corridor/bird attractor and beautifying the garden for next Spring!
Please RSVP with me by messaging me, emailing me or sending me a in-blog email through “Contact me”
How: we will be building a Permaculture-style lasagna garden/corridor all along the wall/mural
What do we need:
- Gardeners and local people interested in learning how to build soil Permaculture-style
- Hands and backs: lots of them! We need people to come with enthusiasm and invest 1-2 hours to create a new beautiful ecosystem
- Lots of Autumn leaves: collect as many as you can and bring them all (exception, try not to bring black walnut leaves as they may interact negatively with our vegetables: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html ). Bring your leaves in garbage bags and we will also learn how they are the best compost/mulch ever for your garden!
- Working globes (we need you to bring globes and if possible an extra pair for those who may not have one, you’ll take them back when you leave)
- Cardboard and newspapers: to put on the bottom…please no staples and no tape on them!
- Bring hot drinks in a thermo for yourself and, if possible, something to share with
- If you have bulbs, please bring them to plant our garden. Better if they are naturalized…
We will finish our work party going to the close-by bakery: Michaels (http://www.michaelsartisanbakery.com/contact.html ) for a coffee/tee/hot chocolate together for those who want a warming session…
What if it rains?
We’ll try our best to at least put the foundations and may finish the “workshop” at Michaels bakery so those of you who want to come on a later date may complete the work.
What if I cannot attend?
We will miss you, but you can always email/message me to see what else is to be done so you can contribute in another date/time
I want to learn but can’t go that day!
I’ll be running a series of informal Permaculture/organic/edible gardening workshops at the Community Garden meetings and as part of the Surrey/White Rock Food Action Coalition, you are all welcomed to attend…the dates/topics will be posted at the Surrey/White Rock Food Action Coalition blog (http://foodactioncoalitionswr.com/ ), my Mainstream Permaculture blog (https://mainstreampermaculture.com/ ), Village Surrey blog/newsletter (http://villagesurrey.wordpress.com/ ) and Facebook pages for all of them!